I’m excited to announce the forthcoming anthology, Kneeling in the Silver Light: Stories from the Great War (Dean M. Drinkel, Ed.) of which my short story “Unknown Soldier” is to be included. The date of publication will be early September. This is a horror/dark fantasy anthology commemorating the centenary of the outbreak of the Great War. It should prove to be a great read.
As I’ve been slogging through the trenches of WWI France for the last several years, writing and rewriting a novel, which now looks like it will become two novels, I’ve created many characters and watched them grow over the years. “Unknown Soldier” was developed from a chapter in my book and deals with Paul, an African American Service of Supply soldier, and his squad on burial detail during the first Allied Offensive in which the Americans took part (July 1918). Burial detail was a gruesome job especially when the dead were days old, which makes it a great starting point for a horror/dark story.
I used my “Unknown Soldier” story and the title of the anthology Kneeling in the Silver Light as the creative impetus and theme of my latest WWI encaustic (hot bees wax, resin and pigment) piece. The blue eyes accentuated in the painting are an important component of the story.
The full table of contents for Kneeling in the Silver Light includes the following.
- Introduction by Dean M Drinkel
- The Dead by Rupert Brooke
- The Scent Of Roses by Christopher Fowler
- On the Side of the Angels by Mary Pletsch
- Fernackerpan by Peter Mark May
- Unknown Soldier by Nancy Hayden
- The Blinds by Thomas Strømsholt
- The Iron Shovel by Amberle L. Husbands
- Where The White Long Roadway Lies by Mike Chinn
- The Wire by Stephanie Ellis
- Yugen by David Thomas
- The Wolves Of Vimy by David Jón Fuller
- The Silk Angel by Christine Morgan
- Dig by Daniel I. Russell
- The Secret of Blackwater Island by Rima Devereaux
- After The Harvest by Bryn Fortey
- A Very Strange Tunnelling Company by Paul Woodward
- Casualties by Anthony Hanks
- Truce by Shaun A.J. Hamilton
- Morningstar by Emile-Louis Tomas Jouvet
- Somme-Nambula by Allen Ashley
- The Treasure by Rupert Brooke